This warm duck salad with griddled pineapple is perfect for hot summer evenings. Should I add that this is really easy? Once the duck is in the oven the dressing takes a few minutes. When the duck is cooked there is no panic for everything to be hot so sit back and relax...
I use duck legs for this salad as I think a tasty crispy skin is perfect with tender meat. Prick the duck with a fork and pour over boiling water. Dry the skin well with kitchen paper and season well. Put on a rack in an oven tray and roast for about 2 hours at 160 C.
Stick a fork in the duck to see if it's tender. If the skin isn't crispy enough increase the heat to 200 for 10 minutes. When it's cooked to your liking shred the duck using a couple of forks to tear the meat off the bone.
While the duck is cooking make the lemon and lime dressing. Zest and juice one lemon and two limes. If the limes are hard put them in the microwave for 10 seconds.
Place the juice and zest in a jam jar with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Peel and core the pineapple and cut wedges. For this dish I used half a small pineapple. Put a smudge of oil on a hot griddle and place the pineapple on for a minute or so each side. Afterwards cut into chunks. Cook some mangetout in boiling water for two minutes and then plunge into cold water.
Now it's just assembly. Pile sliced cucumber and salad leaves into individual bowls, toss on the pineapple and mangetout and place the shredded duck in the middle. Drizzle over the lemon and lime dressing and dig in.
Warm duck and pineapple salad with lemon and lime dressing...
We think it's wicked so tell me what you think.
For the warm duck salad
- 4 duck legs
- 200 g slice fresh pineapple or tinned
- 250 g bag of mixed salad leaves
- 12 slices of cucumber quartered
- 60 g mangetout
For the dressing
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Juice and zest of two limes
- 100 ml olive oil
- 25 ml cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Fork the duck and pour over boiling water. Dry well with kitchen paper and place on a rack in an oven tray.
- Roast at 160 degrees C for 2 hours until tender. If you prefer a really crispy skin increase the heat to 200 for 10 minutes.
- Use two forks the shred the meat from the bone.
- While the meat is cooking make the dressing by combining all the ingredients in a jam jar and place in the fridge until needed.
- When the duck is nearly cooked heat a griddle pan and add a little oil to griddle the pineapple for a minute each side. Cut into chunks.
- Plunge the mangetout in boiling water for two minutes and then into cold water.
- To assemble the salad combine the cucumber and salad leaves in individual bowls, scatter over the pineapple and mangetout and place a pile of shredded duck in the middle.
- Give the dressing a good shake and pour over the warm duck salad.