This tomato, feta and oregano salad is one of my accidental hybrids. I saw these tomatoes in the supermarket and I was seduced. It was a bit like seeing a beautiful pair of shoes and having to have them, although I can't ever see me wearing posh shoes on a 5k dog yomp! The tomatoes in the garden are struggling this year as they've had too much rain, but with my purchase I had an urge for a Greek Salad. It wasn't to be. The lettuce in the fridge was limp, the dogs had eaten the last of the cucumber. It wasn't looking very promising.
I washed and sliced the tomatoes in half lengthways, finely chopped red onion and placed in a bowl with fresh oregano, olive oil, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
Leave the tomatoes at room temperature for about half an hour for the flavours to develop, then tumble onto a serving plate and crumble on the feta cheese.
Sweet tomatoes and tangy cheese....it's a great combination!
Tomato, Feta and Oregano Salad
- 400 g small tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped (or 2 tsp of dried)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100 g feta cheese
- Halve the tomatoes lengthways and place in a large bowl with all the remaining ingredients aside from the feta.
- Stir gently and leave at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Tip onto a serving platter and crumble the feta over to serve.