Roast Lamb with Garlic and Rosemary is so easy to do but tastes so delicious! I used to watch my dad making roast lamb this way and I have been making it this way ever since. If you are looking for an easy way to prepare a roast for a special occasion then this is the dish for you.
What are the ingredients for Roast Lamb?
For this dish, I have used a whole leg of lamb, which is more succulent cooked on the bone. By cooking the leg you will get slices of meat and garlic and rosemary together. You could use a boned and rolled leg but there won't be as much area for the garlic and rosemary.
Cuts like shoulder are better slow roasted and the garlic and rosemary will flavour the meat beautifully but they will get lost as the meat starts to fall apart.
How to make Roast Lamb with Garlic and Rosemary
- Take the meat out of the fridge and prepare the garlic and rosemary. Slice the cloves fairly thick and strip the aromatic fronds from the rosemary stalk.
- Make slits in the lamb and poke a sliver of garlic and a sprig of rosemary into each hole. Press them in more than the picture as they could burn and will naturally poke out as they cook.
- Loosely cover the pan with foil and roast at Gas 5, 180 C for about an hour and then remove the foil for the last 15-30 minutes. This will give you grungy tasty bits on the outside and pink in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and cover with foil to rest.
The lovely bit is that when you slice it you get a lovely lump of soft garlic and the rosemary really flavours the lamb.
What to serve with Roast Lamb
Make an onion sauce by making a basic white sauce. Chop three onions and cover with boiling water. Microwave on full power for 10 minutes and drain the stock for the gravy and add the onions to the white sauce. Pour off the juices from the pan and combine with a tablespoon of redcurrant jelly and the onion stock to make a delicious gravy. I always add a bit of chopped rosemary too.
This dish is great for a treat at Christmas or Easter if you are looking for new ideas as it is so easy but impressive at the same time.
Other British Recipes to try
- Cottage Pie
- Steak and Kidney Pie
- Bread and Butter Pudding
- Strawberry Crumble
- Raised Turkey Pie
- Chicken and Leek Pie
- Toad in the Hole
- Guinea Fowl with Chestnuts and Bacon
- Nutty Chocolate Tiffin
- Slow Roast Belly Pork with Chilli and Fennel
Roast Leg of Lamb studded with Garlic and Rosemary
- 2 kg leg of lamb
- I sprig of fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Remove the sprigs of rosemary from the stalk and thickly slice the garlic.
- Make slits in the lamb and poke a piece of garlic and rosemary into each slit.
- Rub oil into the lamb and season with the salt and pepper.
- Cover the lamb with foil and roast at Gas 5, 180 c for about an hour.
- Remove the foil and roast for another 15 minutes for medium .
Be the first to receive new recipes in your inbox and get my free E-Book of 25 French Recipes! Subscribe here!