Coriander and Cumin Roasted Root Vegetables.
I love the root vegetables in winter and I must have parsnips, in one form or another with every roast dinner. Carrots are a staple too, but I find that boiled or steamed carrots can be bland. However, if you stop boiling and start roasting these vegetables, it brings out their delectable earthy sweetness.
This is one of those recipes that has developed over time. I went to a friends house many years ago and was served carrots and parsnips roasted in maple syrup so I started to make them myself. Years later I started to use a recipe of carrots stir fried with cumin and honey. Yes, you've guessed it, I liked both recipes so much I just mashed them up together!
I'm not going to pretend that these Coriander and Cumin Roasted Root Vegetables are difficult to make. The fact that they are so simple means that they are perfect for any of your Christmas or holiday dinners. When there are so many other elements that take your time, this dish is very forgiving. If you are short on oven space it is happy sit covered in foil until everything is ready.
For this dish you do need carrots and parsnips that are fairly uniform width. If you use the really skinny parsnips they will break up. I cut each carrot and parsnip in half then I cut each piece lengthways then quarterways. Put them in an ovenproof dish with oil, butter and seasoning and cover with foil. Roast for 40 minutes at 180C.
Remove the foil. Mix maple syrup, ground coriander and cumin seeds together and mix with the vegetables. Return to the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes. Sprinkle over some fresh, chopped coriander and enjoy!
How about trying my Roasted Winter Vegetables?
Don't forget to Pin these Coriander and Cumin Roasted Root Vegetables for later.
Coriander and Cumin Roasted Root Vegetables
- 600 g parsnips and carrots peeled
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
For the glaze
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or clear honey
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Cut the vegetables in half then quarter.
- Put the vegetables in an oven proof dish with the oil, butter and seasoning and mix well.
- Cover the dish with foil and roast for 40 mins.
- Combine the ingredients for the glaze, remove the foil and stir in the glaze to coat.
- Return to the oven for another 15 minutes then garnish with the chopped coriander before serving.