These Boursin mashed potatoes take everyday mash to the next level.
Such an incredibly easy recipe, with a light creamy texture and the flavour of garlic and herbs, giving a punch of flavour.
Delicious for any night of the week for a family dinner, or take the stress out of entertaining, with this easy side dish that you can prepare in advance too.
No one will know that it was hardly any effort!
I love all cheeses, but especially French cheese of course. There's nothing better than a selection of cheeses and some crusty bread to remind me of living in France.
However, although ceese is delicious savoured on its own, some varieties are even better served hot, like the Boursin mashed potatoes.
This recipe is incredibly easy, and everyone will think that you've been slaving away, when really this dish is naturally just so simple and delicious.
I've used some melted butter and fresh chives as a garnish, but just serve it plain on weeknights for a speedy supper.
❤️ Why you will love this dish
- Extremely easy recipe.
- Make in advance for entertaining.
- Delicious with any main meal.
- Ready in 20 minutes.
💙 Save this recipe for later
Did you know? When you see the 💙 on the right hand side you can bookmark this page, to save it for later or share it too.
- potatoes - use anyold potatoes for this recipe. I tend to use Maris Piper variety throughout the year, but cheaper white potatoes or Russet variety will all work.
- Boursin - I used a pack of the garlic and herb variety for extra flavour.
- butter - I tend to have salted butter fir savoury dishes.
- milk - semi skimmed milk if fine as there is so much creaminess from the cheese already.
- seasoning - cooking salt and freshly ground black pepper. I also like to grate in some nutmeg to give the potatoes an aromatic nutty flavour.
- garnish - just before serving I like to add an extra tablespoon of melted butter drizzled over the potatoes and sprinkle over a tablespoon of chopped fresh chives.
The printable recipe card with full ingredient quantities and instructions can be found at the bottom of the article.
- large lidded saucepan
- sharp knife
- chopping board
Peel the potatoes.
Chop the potatoes roughly into pieces of about 1 centimetre or half an inch.
This will help them to cook quicker.
💭 Top Tip
Put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with hot water from a kettle.
Add the salt and bring to a boil with the lid on.
Simmer the potatoes for about 10 minutes, until they are tender enough for a fork to penetrate.
Drain the potatoes into a colander or carefully use the lid.
Return the potatees to the saucepan.
Add the Boursin cheese, milk, butter and pepper to the pan.
If you are using nutmeg, add this now too.
Put the heat onto very low.
Use the potato masher to mix the ingredients together until smooth.
Pile the cheesy mashed potatoes into a serving dish.
If liked, drizzle over some extra melted butter and a scattering of fresh chives.
🥗 Side Dishes
This easy cheesy mash goes with any main course, dish but they go particularly well with beef dishes.
- Bavette Steak
- Jacob's Ladder Beef
- Pheasant with Wild Mushroom Sauce
- Pork Confit
- Cod Cheeks and Chorizo
- Salmon Meunière
- Roast Partridge
- Chicken en Croûte
- Duck with Orange Sauce
- Chicken Supreme
- Cannon of Lamb
- Boursin - there are lots of other flavours if garlic and herb are not your favourite. Alternatively, use plain cream cheese or Philadelphia.
- Bacon - fry some bacon lardons in their own fat until crisp and stir through the mashed potatoes.
- Spring onions - slice some spring or green onions, (scallions), and stir through to serve. You could also use chopped shalloys softened in olive oil for a few minutes.
- Cheesy - add some extra cheese such as grated cheddar or leftovers from a cheesevoard, such as Brie.
- Refrigerator - cool, cover and refrigerate the cheesy mashed potatoes for up to 3 days.
- Freezer - pack in an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months. Leave in the fridge to defrost overnight.
- To reheat - place in an oven proof serving dish, cover with foil and heat in the oven at 180 C / 350 F / 160 FAN / Gas 4.
🍱 Prepare in Advance
- Prepare and place in a serving dish. Cool and cover with foil and refrigerate. Reheat at 180 C / 350 F / 160 FAN / Gas 4 for 20 minutes or until hot.
Boursin is cheese is a full or reduced fat soft cream cheese, which is a brand of Gournay cheese.
The garlic and herb flavour was created in 1957 by French cheesemaker, François Boursin from Normandy. Normandy is well known for dairy products.
He took the idea for this crumbly and creamy cheese from the French tradition of serving fromage frais with fresh herbs.
Let me know what you think in the comments or you can post a picture and tag me on Twitter @chezlereve, Instagram @chezlerevefrancais, or Facebook @chezlerevefrancais
More French potato dishes
Boursin Mashed Potatoes
- large lidded saucepan
- sharp knife
- chopping board
- 800 g potatoes 4 large
- 150 g Boursin garlic and herb variety
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 50 ml milk semi skimmed
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust if you are using salted butter
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Peel the potatoes and chop roughly into pieces of about 1 centimetre or half an inch.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with hot water from a kettle.
- Add the salt and bring to a boil with the lid on then simmer the potatoes for about 10 minutes, until they are tender enough for a fork to penetrate.
- Drain the potatoes into a colander or carefully use the lid.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan.
- Add the Boursin cheese, milk, butter and pepper to the pan.
- If you are using nutmeg, add this now too.
- Put the heat onto very low.
- Use the potato masher to mix the ingredients together until smooth.
- Pile the cheesy mashed potatoes into a serving dish.
- If liked, drizzle over some extra melted butter and a scattering of fresh chives.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Detailed instructions for this recipe, including step by step photographs, hints and tips, can be found in the main article.
More French side dishes to try
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using gas.
Do you have a question or did you make the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.
However, due to spam comments, I do have to moderate each one, so don't worry if you cannot see your comment immediately. I'll publish your comments as soon as I can.
Adding boursin made my mashed potato taste incredible. 10/10.
This was a huge hit at our potluck party!
I love how easy it is to elevate a simple side dish like mashed potatoes with just a few ingredients. The addition of garlic and herbs, combined with the creamy texture of Boursin cheese, is sure to make these mashed potatoes a hit with my family and guests. And the fact that it's an easy recipe that can be prepared in advance is definitely a bonus. Can't wait to try this recipe!
Boursin adds so much great flavor to mashed potatoes!
We absolutely love boursin in sauces for pasta or fish, but this recipe was completely new to me! And I am so glad I found it. It was so good I could honestly eat this mash as a main course all on its own!
These were so good! I didn't realized mashed potatoes could get any better until I added some Boursin! Yum!
I've never added Boursin to mashed potatoes before, but this looks so good, I can't wait to try it!
These Boursin mashed potatoes are the epitome of creamy, luxurious comfort food that leaves you craving more. The flavorful Boursin cheese takes the classic dish to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Absolutely delicious; thank you for this fantastic recipe! Very straightforward and easy to make. The dish came out perfectly. I will make it again!!
We had these potatoes with chicken cordon bleu the other night and they were so good! My family gobbled them up!
So creamy and delicious! I especially loved the little bit of "extra" from the herbed cheese.
My store didn't have Boursin so I used the Philadelphia herb cream cheese and this came out so good! I'll definitely be making it again.
This Boursin mash was absolutely insanely good. Hubby love Boursin me not so much but in this mash... it was made for it. Absolutely recommend making this.