Mooing Pigs or Mozzarella Sausage Rolls. No I haven't gone mad. Every year at Christmas I make sausage rolls as my boys love them. They also love mozzarella so I had a dirty little thought. What if I could get mozzarella in the sausage rolls? Wouldn't it all ooze out? Luckily my little experiment was a resounding success and by popular vote named 'Mooing Pigs'.
I used 1 sheet of puff pastry cut in half. I can only buy circular sheets so patchwork was needed. Divide the pork in half and then add two thirds to each part of pastry, spread out evenly. I used a wooden spoon to make an indent and added a small strip of mozzarella.
Put the remaining thirds of sausage onto each length of sausage and leave a gap at each end.
Roll up the mozzarella sausage rolls, place on a try and seal with beaten egg. Seal the ends and snip with scissors.
Bake for about 20 minutes at 220 C until puffed and golden.
Leave to stand for a few minutes and then cut into slices and serve immediately as all the mozzarella will be a molten mess!
These are disgustingly dirty mozzarella sausage rolls.
Do you dare to make them?
Mozzarella Sausage Rolls or Mooing Pigs
- 230 g prepared puff pastry
- 500 g pork sausagemeat
- 125 g mozzarella cut into 1cm wide lengthways
- beaten egg to glaze
- 2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Divide the pastry into two lengths.
- Season the sausagemeat and add the seasoning and herbs.
- Divide the meat into two, form two sausages with ⅔ of the mixture and place onto the pastry .
- Squeeze the mozzarella along the lengths of the sausage and top with the remaining sausagemeat.
- Use beaten egg along the edge and roll up and seal into 2 rolls.
- Snip with scissors and bake at 220 C for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve immediately.