These cheese sausage rolls are seriously good! Sausage meat is stuffed with mozzarella cheese and wrapped in shop bought puff pastry, then baked until, golden, crispy and positively oozing with cheese!
The cheesy surprise is kept secret, until you slice into the pastry, so this dish is perfect for parties and buffets too.
Prepare for some serious cheese pull with these tasty snacks!
I don't think you can beat a sausage roll at a gathering. There's something about the aroma in the kitchen, when they are baking, that lures everyone in.
These sausage rolls are no exception, except the extra waft of cheese will drive everyone mad!
So easy to make too.
Why you will love this recipe
- Ready to eat in just 30 minutes
- Uses shop bought puff pastry, so simple preparation in 10 minutes.
- Delicious hot or cold.
- Great for parties, buffets and picnics.
- Loved by adults and children.
- Pastry - one sheet of all butter puff pastry, ready rolled.
- Sausage meat - coarse ground preferably for texture and taste.
- Mozzarella - bought as a ball and drained on kitchen paper.
- Egg - small egg for glazing the pastry.
- Seasoning - salt and freshly ground black pepper, but check the sausage meat ingredients, as often seasoning is already added.
- Herbs - dried mixed herbs or dried sage work well.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Baking tray
- Pastry brush
- Sharp knife / scissors
Unroll the pastry and leave it on the parchment paper.
Cut the pastry in half lengthways.
Mix the sausage meat with the seasoning and herbs and divide into 2 portions.
Take two thirds of a portion and form into a long sausage and lay in the middle of each length of pastry.
Make a groove in the middle of the sausagemeat with a wooden spoon handle.
Cut the mozzarella in half and cut into sticks to fill the groove in the sausage meat.
💭 Top Tip
- When using ready made pastry it is important to take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you want to use it. Otherwise it has a tendancy to crack when you unroll it.
Put the remaining thirds of sausage onto each length of sausage.
Whisk the egg and mix with the water to form an egg wash.
Use the pastry brush tobrush along one of the long sides.
Roll up the cheese sausage rolls, including covering each end.
Place on an oven tray.
Make a few snips in the top with scissors to let the steam escape.
Brush the sausage rolls and ends with the remaining egg wash.
⏲️ Baking Time
Preheat the oven to 220 C / 425 F / 200 FAN / Gas 7.
Bake for about 20 minutes at 220 C until puffed and golden.
Leave to stand for a few minutes.
Cut into slices and serve immediately as all the mozzarella will be melted.
Be careful as it will be very hot!
🥗 Serve at a gathering with:
- Quiche Lorraine
- Chinese Moneybags
- Fennel and Pear Salad
- Vietnamese Chicken
- Raw Mushroom Salad
- Tarragon Potato Salad
- Smoked Salmon Canapes
- Duck Terrine
- Chicken Liver Parfait
- Smoked Salmon Pate
- Baked Halloumi Fries
- Sausage meat - if you cannot get hold of sausage meat use some sausages such as Lincolnshire or Cumberland. Squeeze out the sausage from the skins or make a slit lengthways and scoop out the meat with a teaspoon.
- Cheese - use cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton. Brie or camembert also work well.
- Pastry - make homemade flaky pastry or use homemade or bought shortcrust pastry for a change.
- Refrigerator - these are best eaten on the day they are made. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Freezer - freeze uncooked sausage rolls and bake from frozen allowing an extra 10 minutes cooking time. Open freeze, (on a tray without any cover), and then once frozen pack into a bag or box. Or freeze cooked ones, defrost and serve cold or reheat.
- To reheat - defrost cooked sausage rolls for 5 minutes.
I you are looking for a cheese that doesn't melt then try, halloumi, paneer or feta.
These cheeses will soften in the heat, but will not turn to liquid.
More sausage and pastry recipes
Cheese Sausage Rolls
- Oven tray
- sharp knife
- Pastry brush
- wooden spoon
- 320 g puff pastry chilled
- 500 g pork sausage meat
- 125 g mozzarella cut into 1cm wide lengthways
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- seasoning if required
- 2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Divide the pastry into two lengths.
- Season the sausagemeat and add the seasoning and herbs.
- Divide the meat into two, form two sausages with ⅔ of the mixture and place onto the pastry .
- Squeeze the mozzarella along the lengths of the sausage and top with the remaining sausagemeat.
- Mix the egg with water and seal the pastry along the longer edge. Roll up and glaze.
- Place on a baking tray, snip with scissors and bake at 220 C for 20 minutes.
- Slice and serve immediately.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Please refer to the post for detailed recipe instructions.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds.
- Always have good ventilation when using gas.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to read them and answer your questions. However, due to spam comments, I do have to moderate each one, so don't worry if you cannot see your comment immediately. I'll publish your comments as soon as I can. ak