Turkey and Pork Sausage Roll Wreath.
Much as I love a shortcut I always make my own sausage rolls at Christmas. That doesn't mean to say that I make my own pastry for this. If you are entertaining then there is often enough to do. Ready made, all butter puff pastry, pre-rolled in a rectangle is available now so I keep a couple of packets in the freezer. and thaw overnight in the fridge.
For me, there is nothing better than the smell of a homemade sausage roll wafting through the kitchen. Crisp pastry on the outside and tender meat on the inside is a match made in heaven. My sons love sausage rolls at Christmas and I feel that each year I need to make something new.
I got the idea for my Turkey and Pork Sausage Roll Wreath back in October. I wanted to make something that would look stunning on a plate and also play with the flavours.
For this version I created a 'sausage' of seasoned turkey mince. Add a layer of dried cranberries and top with a layer of sausage meat, flavoured with sage. Arrange the sausage roll in a circle before cutting so it retains a wreath shape after cooking. I originally planned to have larger Christmas pastry decorations on the top but, trust me, the larger ones lose their shape and make the pastry too thick on top. The most important thing about the Turkey and Pork Sausage Roll Wreath is to get it into a preheated oven of 220 C and then eat them when they are warm and crisp from the oven.
I served mine with extra cranberry sauce but you could use a baked Camembert too. They don't actually need a dip or sauce because they won't be hanging around long. I know these things!
If you like the Turkey and Pork Sausage Rolls then you will love my 'Mooing Pigs' or Mozzarella Stuffed Sausage Rolls.
Don't forget to Pin it for later.
- 2 375g packs of all butter puff pastry
- 400 g sausagemeat
- 250 g turkey thigh mince
- 100 g dried cranberries
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 beaten egg
- Season the sausagemeat and mix in the sage and divide into 3.
- Lay the pastry out flat and cut each piece in half lengthways.
- Divide the turkey meat into 3 and lay a strip of meat along t the middle of three lengths of the pastry.
- Lay the cranberries on top of the turkey meat and add a layer of sausagemeat.
- Use beaten egg to paint a strip along one side of the pastry and carefully roll up. Pinch the edges to seal.
- Arrange the 3 lengths of sausage roll into two rings, one inside the other. As a guide you will need about a third of one and a whole one for the smaller ring and the remainder for the larger one.
- Cut into 24 pieces, which will be slightly wedge shaped and then place on a non stick baking tray.
- Brush with beaten egg and use the last piece of pastry to cut out little decorations if you wish. Brush the decorations with egg wash.
- Place in a 220 C oven for about 35 minutes until the pastry is cooked through.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly then arrange on a platter in a wreath shape.