How cute are these Rudolph chocolate crispy rice pops?
These are the perfect gift for children and they are so easy to make too.
With no real cooking involved this is a great way to keep the kids entertained at Christmas!
Best of all, there's not much mess either!
What are the ingredients?
There's no surprise that you are going to need some rice crispy cereals but any brand will do.
For binding you'll need butter and marshmallows and cocoa powder for flavouring.
The decorations are all easily shop bought: chocolate pretzels, candy eyes, M & Ms and some melted chocolate to glue them on.
How to make chocolate crispy rice pops
There's no real cooking involved.
First melt some butter with pure cocoa powder then add the mini marshmallows over a medium heat. It takes a bit of time for them to melt and it feels very difficult to combine. After a couple of minutes it will start to mix up together.
Put the rice crispies in a very large bowl and pour in the marshmallow mixture and stir until everything is combined.
Oil a tin 18 cm by 18 cm and pour in the mixture. This stuff is seriously sticky so I find it easier to oil my hands and press the mixture gently into the tin in an even layer.
Next use a metal spatula to get it flat. Pop it in the fridge for about 30 minutes then cut into 12 rectangles. At this point you can gently press lolly sticks in if you like.
Melt some chocolate in the microwave and decorate with red sweets, candy eyes and chocolate pretzels.
Put a couple of these Rudolph chocolate crispy rice pops in a cellophane bag and tie up with ribbon for an easy gift idea!
You can just use melted chocolate if you prefer, rather than the marshmallows. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over water simmering in a saucepan. You can also microwave in bursts of 10 seconds if you prefer.
Use plain pretzels or jelly sweets instead for the decorations.
These will keep for at least a week in an airtight container.
More delicious treats to try
Rudolph Chocolate Crispy Pops
For the crispies
- 180 g mini marshmallows
- 50 g butter
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 70 g crispy rice cereal
- 6 chocolate pretzels 100g bag
- 24 candy eyes
- 50 g chocolate
- 12 red smarties or M&Ms 82g bag
- 12 lolly sticks if required
- Grease an 18 X 18 cm tin.
- In a non stick pan melt the butter and cocoa together then add the marshmallows over a medium heat. Keep stirring gently for a few minutes until the mixture comes together and starts to thin out.
- Put the cereal in a large bowl and mix in the chocolate mixture until fully incorporated.
- Gently press the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface with a metal spatula.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes the n cut into 12 rectangles.
- To decorate insert the sticks. Melt the chocolate in the microwave and use to stick on the sweets and pretzels.
This recipe was first published on the 19th December 2018 but has been updated on the 16th December 2020 with further information.