Salmon and Asparagus Puff Pastry Parcels.
Nothing heralds Spring for me than the arrival of asparagus in the shops and markets around Easter time. While it’s in season we will eat it every week with pasta, as a side dish and in vegetable tarts, which made me think of this combination. Salmon always goes well with asparagus so rather than make a large tart I decided to make ‘carrés feuilletés’.
Carres feuilletes are basically squares of all butter puff pastry arranged in an envelope shape. Popular fillings are goat cheese, spinach, mushrooms and courgettes and you can often buy them ready to be reheated. However, I think that these are so easy and versatile that they are best made fresh at home.
I used 3 fresh salmon fillets which I poached in milk until just cooked but you could used tinned salmon for the puff pastry parcels. Mix ricotta cheese with some basil pesto then flake the salmon and fold into the cheese mixture.
To assemble the puff pastry parcels use a packet of all butter ready rolled rectangle of puff pastry. Trim into one large square and then into 4 smaller squares. Place the pastry on baking parchment and divide the filling between the pieces. I find it’s easier to shape the filling into a square with the corners pointing to the middle of the sides of the pastry square. Now, when you fold the sides in it will be easier to get a neat shape. Top with blanched asparagus spears, brush the pastry with beaten egg and cook at 220 C for about 25 minutes until puffed and golden.
These Salmon and Asparagus Puff Pastry Parcels are delicious hot for lunch or dinner or perfect cold on a picnic too. There are so many variations it’s easy to satisfy the whole family.
Another French favourite is Quiche Lorraine, perfect for picnics too.
What would you put in yours?
If you want a decadent treat then try my Duck terrine with Asparagus
Other salmon recipes
- Salmon and Avocado Parcels
- Smoked Salmon Mac and Cheese
- Honey Garlic Salmon
- Seafood en Papillotte
- Seafood Gratin
- Salmon Timbales
- Blanquette de la Mer
- Seafood Lasagne
Salmon and Asparagus Puff Pastry Parcels
- 400 G Salmon fillets, poached and flaked
- 240 G Ready made puff pastry
- 8 Small asparagus spears Blanched
- 100 G Ricotta cheese
- 4 teaspoon Basil pesto
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment and heat the oven to 220c.
- Mix together ricotta with pesto and seasoning and fold in the salmon.
- Roll out the pastry into 4 squares and place on the baking sheets.
- Divide the salmon mixture between the pastry squares in a square shape so that it is opposite to the pastry square.
- Carefully fold in the edges like an envelope and brush with the beaten egg and adding the asparagus.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until well risen and golden.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Detailed instructions for this recipe, including step by step photographs, hints and tips, can be found in the main article.