Chicken and Bacon Chowder.
More usually a white chowder
is traditionally a North American hearty soup typically served with seafood, especially clams according to its origins
. Interestingly the word chowder
may have come from the French word chaudière
or cauldron but I've never seen it here in France!
Here is my very easy version of a chowder that works particularly well if you've got some leftover chicken from a Sunday roast but not enough for a whole meal. To make from scratch just put a couple of skinless chicken breasts in the oven at 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes until just cooked and then pull the shreds apart with your fingers when they have cooled slightly.
Start by getting all the vegetables chopped. Split the broccoli florets into quarters so that the vegetables cook quickly.
Begin the chowder by putting smoked bacon lardons in a large pan with the onions and frying for about 5 minutes until softened.
Tip 2 tablespoons of plain flour into the pan and cook for a minute. You can use homemade stock from the chicken bones by following instructions here
or you can use a stock cube or similar. Add the stock, milk and potatoes and bring to the boil. Add in the mushrooms, broccoli and tarragon and simmer for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Mix in the shredded chicken and a can of drained corn for a few minutes and season to taste. Don't forget to serve with crusty bread. I added some naughty croutons too!
We have this for a main meal as it's filling dish which is ideal when we have snow like today!
What's your favourite chowder recipe?
Chicken and Bacon Chowder
An easy chowder of chicken and bacon with corn, potatoes, mushrooms and broccoli which is perfect for wintry days.
- 2 cooked shredded chicken breasts(or other chicken portion)
- 1 diced onion
- 1/2 head of broccoli, florets quartered
- 6 sliced mushrooms
- 140g can of sweetcorn, drained
- 200g smoked lardons or bacon
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1.5 litres of chicken stock
- 200 ml milk
- 2 tbsp palin flour
- 1 tbsp dried tarragon
- seasoning to taste
- Put the lardons in a large pan with the onions and fry for 5 mins until soft.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 min.
- Pour in the stock and milk and bring to the boil with the potatoes.
- Add in the broccoli, mushrooms and tarragon and simmer for 15 mins until the vegeatbles are tender.
- Tip in the shredded chicken and corn and heat through.
- Season to taste and serve with crusty bread and croutons if liked.
Chez Le Rêve Français http://chezlerevefrancais.com/