These honey and cumin sweet potato fries are so easy to make and totally delicious. Baking them in the oven brings out their natural sweetness, making them perfect as a side dish or for munching on their own with your favourite dip
Sweet potatoes are not potatoes at all and do have several health benefits. They are high in antioxidants, which convert to vitamin A, along with vitamins B and C. Unlike normal potatoes, they can be counted as 1 of your 5 a day fruit and vegetables.
I love potato chips or fries but I do prefer not to deep fry my food too often so baking the chips and making sweet potato fries, means I can have all that crunch without all the calories.
What are the ingredients?
I started off with two large sweet potatoes. There are many different varieties but I used the ones with orange flesh.
You will need
- 800 g sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
How to make the fries
Peel and slice the sweet potatoes. I prefer to cut them quite chunky but you could cut them thinner if you prefer.
In a large food bag place oil, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and honey. Add the sweet potatoes and mix well. You could easily do this in a large bowl as well.
Either way is great if you want to prepare the sweet potato fries in advance.
Roast on a preheated tray at 180 degrees C for about 15-20 minutes and then carefully turnover for another 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy in the summer as a barbecue side, or on their own at any time with your favourite dip.
What's your favourite sweet potato recipe?
More vegetable side dishes to try
- French Fondant Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Twice Baked Stuffed Potatoes
- Parmentier Potatoes
- Garlic and Tarragon Potato Salad
- French Potatoes Gratin Dauphinnoise
Honey and Cumin Sweet Potato Fries
- 800 g sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon runny honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander optional
- Peel and chip the sweet potatoes.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a large food bag and add the potatoes to coat.
- Preheat the oven and a tray at 180 degrees C.
- Add the potatoes in a single layer and cook for about 15-20 minutes then turn.
- Serve with the corinader scattered over.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
Detailed instructions for this recipe, including step by step photographs, hints and tips, can be found in the main article.
This post was originally published on 16th August 2016 and has been updated
We sometimes take for a granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience, that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove