Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu is one of my favourite comfort foods.
I know I can't resist cutting through the crispy outside to get to the tender chicken and ham that covers the delicious cheese oozing out!
Rather than a lot of messy frying, this version is baked, which means you can prepare it in advance and just throw it in the oven after a long day.
What are the Ingredients?
This dish has boneless and skinless chicken breasts, good quality sliced ham and cheese. As it's a Swiss dish Emmenthal is often used. I have made this dish before using other cheeses, but bear in mind that cheeses melt at different rates and you don't want all the cheese to have oozed out before the chicken is cooked! For the coating it's the normal ingredients of flour, egg and breadcrumbs. I've used panko but you could used normal breadcrumbs or blitz some bread in a food processor and bake it in the oven to dry it out.
How to make this dish
Cut the chicken breast carefully along the length and open it out to form a heart shape.
Use the flat side of a steak tenderiser and flatten the thicker parts of the chicken so that it's an even thickness.
Take a slice of cheese and cut to the length and width of the chicken. Wrap the cheese in the ham length ways and place on one side of the chicken breast.
Fold the other side of the chicken on top of the ham parcel, with the ham seem on the inside. This will help to stop the cheese from leaking.
Get a bowl ready with beaten egg and one with flour. Sprinkle the panko onto a plate and mix with the chopped parsley.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180C, Gas Mark 5 for 30 minutes or until the cheesy chicken is cooked through.
I'd love to know if you made this baked chicken cordon bleu at home. Let me know what you think in the comments or head over to Instagram and tag @chezlerevefrancais.
How to store
You could easily prepare the chicken a day in advance if you are using fresh chicken. The prepared chicken can also be frozen. Open freeze on baking parchment then pack into boxes. Use within 3 months and defrost overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.
What to serve with this dish
Make this an easy weeknight dish by serving with Parmentier Potatoes, easy to cook 2 ways with garlic and rosemary. If you are entertaining how about Fondant Potatoes? Potatoes are browned in butter with garlic and thyme then poached in stock. Crispy on the outside and meltingly tender on the inside. So easy to do.
More chicken recipes to try
- French Cassoulet
- Tarragon and Lemon Roast Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Traybake
- Creamy Chicken with Sun dried Tomatoes
- Chicken Thighs with Tarragon and Juniper Berries
- Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake
- Baked Harissa Chicken
Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 550 g chicken breast 4 skinless boneless breasts
- 100 g Emmenthal cheese 4 slices
- 75 g ham 4 slices
- 70 g panko breadcrumbs or plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 50 g flour plain/all purpose
- seasoning to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley fresh and chopped
- spray oil optional
- Cut the chicken breast carefully along the length and open it out to form a heart shape.
- Use a steak tenderiser and flatten the thicker parts of the chicken so that it's an even thickness.
- Take a slice of cheese and cut to the length and width of the chicken. Wrap the cheese in the ham length ways and place on one side of the chicken breast.
- Fold the other side of the chicken on top of the ham parcel, with the ham seem on the inside.
- Dip the chicken in the flour then the egg and then the panko.
- Put the chicken on an oven tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Be the first to receive new recipes in your inbox and get my free E-Book of 25 French Recipes! Subscribe here