Traditional French tart with crème fraîche, bacon, onions and cheese.
- 250 g flour plain/all purpose
- 150 ml water warm
- 2 tbsp oil vegetable or olive
- ½ tsp salt
- 150 g smoked bacon lardons
- 200 g creme fraiche
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 170 g Gruyere cheese
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
Start by frying the lardon over a medium heat until golden.
For ease use a stand mixer with a dough hook. Mix the flour and salt together in the machine on a medium speed and then gradually add the water and oil.
Mix for a minute until well combined and smooth.
Prepare two baking sheets about 30 X 25 cm and line with a reusable silicone mat or parchment paper.
Divide the dough into two and roll each piece out into a rough oval. Place on the baking sheets
Spread thecrème fraiche over the base and sprinkle over the sliced onions.
Add the cooked bacon and sprinkle over the cheese.
Bake at 230C/450F/Gas 8 for 10-15 minutes.
Hints and Tips:
- Make sure that you use full fat products for this recipe. Lower fat versions tend to separate when they get hot and make the pastry soggy.
- Roll the dough directly onto the silicone liner or onto baking parchment. This makes it easier to transfer to the baking sheet. After cooking it's then easier to slide onto a board for presentation and cutting.
- Don't forget to read the whole post for further information regarding the preparation of this dish.
Calories: 633kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 28gFat: 34gSaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 817mgPotassium: 341mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 714IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 503mgIron: 3mg