Nutella Chocolate Meringues
Delicious French meringues swirled with Nutella chocolate spread
- 3 egg whites
- 150 g caster sugar fine sugar / golden caster
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar or White wine vinegar
- 150 g Nutella or other chocolate spread
- 20 g hazelnuts chopped or other chopped nuts
Line a large baking sheet or two smaller ones with baking parchment and preheat the oven to 100C/100F/Gas 1.5.
Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk to the soft peaks stage.
Add about a quarter of the sugar and continue whisking thenrepeat until the sugar has been used up.
Whisk in the vinegar and continue to whisk until the meringue is glossy and completely holds it's own shape.
Put the Nutella in a glass or ceramic bowl and microwave over a medium heat for 20 seconds and then check the consistency. It should be pourable.
If you want the chocolate evenly distributed add the Nutella to the meringue and partly mix with a skewer, otherwise spoon the mixture onto the trays and drizzle with the melted Nutella and gently stir in.
Use two tablespoons to form 6 mounds on the baking sheets then sprinkle the meringues with hazelnuts. Bake for an hour then switch the trays around for another hour.
Put them onto a rack to cool and then they are ready toserve.
- Make sure that the bowl you use for mixing meringues is freshly washed and preferable glass or metal. A miniscule amount of grease in the bowl can mean that your egg whites won't whip correctly.
- I normally store my eggs at room temperature, but if you put your eggs in the fridge for an hour or so before you are ready to bake then they will be easier to separate.
- Separate each egg and add the whites to the whipping bowl one at a time. This makes it easier in case you come across a bad egg without wasting the rest. More importantly you can check the egg white. If you have the slightest bit of yolk in the white it can stop the egg whites from whipping.
- When the meringue has reached the right consistency handle it as little as possible with metal spoons or a spatula so that you don't allow the air to escape.
Calories: 240kcalCarbohydrates: 41gProtein: 3gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 7gSodium: 35mgPotassium: 126mgFiber: 1gSugar: 39gCalcium: 27mgIron: 1mg