Pigeon Breast with Blackberry Sauce
Simple pan fried pigeon breast with a delicious blackberry sauce to serve. Perfect for entertaining or date night!
- 8 pigeon breast boneless and skinless
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- seasoning to taste
- 200 g blackberries fresh or frozen
- 50 g sugar
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
Set aside 70g of the blackberries to leave whole in the sauce before serving. Put the remaining blackberries in a saucepan with the sugar and vinegar over a medium heat for a few minutes.
Mash the blackberries with the back of a wooden spoon when they are soft. Add the stock and reduce the mixture, by simmering for a few minutes.
Now carefully pass the sauce through a sieve and return to the saucepan.
Check the seasoning and thickness of the sauce. Use a tbsp of cornflour mixed with water to stir through to thicken if you prefer a thicker sauce.
Add the whole blackberries and set aside while you cook the pigeon breasts.
Pat the pigeon breasts dry on kitchen paper and season with salt and pepper.
Add the butter and oil to a pan over a medium to high heat then add the pigeon breasts.
Fry for two to three minutes each side to serve them medium. Gently heat through the blackberry sauce while the pigeon rests.
Serve the sauce in pots, with a little poured over the meat.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.
- This dish is so simple to cook so only make what you will need. Pigeon should really be cooked pink, so trying to reheat it would make it tough and dry.
- Make the sauce in advance and reheat just before serving, adding in the whole blackberries.
- Swap the red wine vinegar for apple cider vinegar if you prefer.
- For an even richer sauce, swirl through some butter and a tablespoon of redcurrant jelly when you reheat the sauce.
- If you are entertaining make the sauce the day before but don't add the whole blackberries until you are warming it to serve.
Calories: 303kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 33gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 62mgPotassium: 113mgFiber: 3gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 195IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 17mgIron: 1mg