Tandoori Chicken Bake. I've always loved Tandoori chicken but hated the mess of the grill-pan afterwards, not to mention the leftover marinade that had to be binned because it had the raw meat juices in it. So what if you could have the same taste with extra sauce and less clearing up? Here's my solution with my Tandoori Chicken Bake.
Start by making the marinade. Using an ovenproof dish combine yoghurt or creme fraiche, garlic, ginger, tandoori spice mix, turmeric, lemon juice and seasoning.
Skin some chicken thighs and slash with a knife a few times so that the marinade can permeate the meat and aid cooking. Add the chicken to the dish.
At this point you could fry the onions and add them before baking, add raw onions before the chicken is marinated, add fried onions to the finished dish or bake them in the oven with the chicken in a separate dish. I think I've tried it all ways! Leave to marinate covered in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Garnish with coriander and cooked onions if you like and serve with lemon wedges.
This one dish Tandoori Chicken Bake can be made as low fat as you want by not frying the onions and using fat free yoghurt.
I hope you give this a try and tell me what you think.
Tandoori Chicken Bake
- 8 skinned chicken thighs
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 250 g yoghurt/creme fraiche
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 thumb sized piece ginger finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tandoori spice mix
- 1 tsp turmeric
- juice 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Prepare the marinade by mixing yoghurt, spice, garlic, ginger, turmeric, lemon and seasoning in a n oven proof dish.
- Slash the thighs 3 times and add to the marinade (and onions, if liked).
- Marinate overnight or a few hours then cook at 180 C for 40 minutes.
- Garnish with the coriander and fried onions if liked.