Sushi? Don't mind if I do! We have the most amazing Asian buffet restaurant in Fontenay Le Comte where they have loads of Chinese Dishes, Sushi, fresh seafood and an area where you can pick raw seafood, meat and vegetables and watch someone cook it all for you. Starters and dessert are included too and it's amazing value at about 11 Euros each even if they do serve French bread with it all! Anyway I've never made Sushi before so when I saw this kit in the supermarket I just had to have a go.
It's amazing that I can get loads of Oriental ingredients but proper Indian spices are very difficult to find. The kit included 200g of Sushi rice which is cooked by bringing water to the boil and adding the rice then cover and simmer until the water is absorbed. Whilst the rice is still warm add the rice wine Sushi vinegar, then leave it to cool while you prepare the fillings.
The kit didn't really give any guidance so I went with what I had in the fridge and since I wasn't up to asking for Sushi grade fish at the counter I stuck with some cooked prawns and smoked salmon. You only need a tiny amount of everything or the rolls will be too thick. Slice everything finely. I minced the prawns.
The kit came with a bamboo roller. Lay a piece of Nori shiny side down and place a handful of rice in the centre. It's sticky so have a bowl of water nearby to wipe your hands.
Spread the rice in an even layer and leave an inch gap at the top to allow for sealing.
Add your toppings an inch from the bottom. I used salmon, radish and cucumber here.
Then I did a prawn and avocado. Note that this is a really small amount of filling. There were 5 pieces of Nori in the pack but I think this amount of rice was just enough for 3.
Then just roll it up carefully and evenly. Once you get to the end use some water to moisten the naked bit of Nori so that it will stick together.
For the rice
- 200 g Sushi rice
- 3 Nori sheets
- 3 tsp Sushi vinegar
- half tsp of salt and sugar
- 2 inch piece cucumber seeded and sliced in matchsticks
- 2 radishes sliced in matchsticks
- slice avocado
- 1 cm slice smoked salmon
- chpped cooked prawns
- Bring 250ml of water to the boil and add the rice, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed.
- Add the sugar, salt and vinegar and let the rice cool.
- Place a piece of Nori on the bamboo roller and spread a handful of rice evenly, leaving a 1 inch gap at the top.
- Place the filling an inch from the bottom.
- Carefully tuck in and roll up evenly, wetting the exposed Nori to seal the roll.
- Cut each roll into 6 or 7 pieces with a sharp knife and serve with, soy sauce, wasabi paste and pickled ginger.