My walnut pesto pasta is really easy to make and can be used in any pasta dish. Slip in a few rocket leaves and some walnuts and you have the perfect pasta salad for barbecues, a quick vegetarian supper or a tasty topping for tomatoes. This is one of my family's favourite dishes and they don't even moan about the green!
This recipe makes enough for 2 dishes for 4 people so you can easily freeze the other half or keep it covered in the fridge for a few days ( drizzle a little extra olive oil on the top to keep it fresh). You need the basil leaves from about one small plant, walnuts and a clove of garlic, minced.
Put the oil, basil, garlic and walnuts into the food processor and blitz until well combined. Add the Parmesan and pulse until mixed. Check for seasoning. I add about half a teaspoon of salt but it depends on the Parmesan.
Cook the pasta to your liking, drain and stir in half of the pesto. Add the rocket and chopped walnuts and pile onto a serving platter. Serve with some Parmesan shavings.
And,if you are thinking, why does she have so many recipes with walnuts?
Being frugal, and having lots of walnut trees in the lane outside, we spend the autumn collecting walnuts to use throughout the year!
What's your favourite pasta dish?
Rocket with Basil and Walnut Pesto Pasta
For the walnut pesto
- 20 g basil leaves
- 150 ml olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 80 g walnuts
- 70 g Parmesan grated
- 70 g chopped walnuts
- 300 g dried pasta
- 70 g rocket
- Extra shaved Parmesan
- Put the oil, garlic, basil and walnuts into a food processor and blitz until blended.
- Add the grated Parmesan and pulse until combined.
- Check the seasoning and add salt to taste.
- Cook the pasta to your liking and drain, reserving a little of the cooking liquid.
- Add half of the pesto to the pan and return the pasta.
- Stir well and add some liquid if needed.
- Stir in the rocket and walnuts and place on a serving platter.
- Use a potato peeler to shave some Parmesan over the top.
This works well as a cold pasta salad or as a hot side dish or main meal.