Roasted Asparagus Tart. Did you know that this week is National Vegetarian Week in the UK? The aim is to encourage people to eat more vegetarian food and they have lots of great recipes here. Here in France it would be a shame not to make the most of asparagus season as it seems so short. Most French people prefer the fatter, white asparagus but I prefer the slimmer green version. For this dish the asparagus is roasted which really helps to retain the colour and intensify the flavour. There's no homemade pastry for this dish and I am completely unapologetic about using ready made puff pastry, as long as it is an all butter version.
Start by cutting tomatoes in half and placing cut side up on a tin lined with baking parchment. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper before roasting in a preheated oven at 150 C for an hour. The tomatoes will become quite sweet but will still retain their shape.
When the tomatoes have roasted leave to cool and put the asparagus on a baking sheet and prepare in the same way as the tomatoes. Line a baking tin with puff pastry and poke the base liberally with a fork. Cook in a preheated oven at 200 C for 10 minutes with the asparagus.
Use the back of a spoon to push down the middle of the pastry and then spread some basil pesto on the base.
Arrange the roasted asparagus on the pastry with the tomatoes on top. Drain the liquid from the mozzarella and allow to drain on kitchen paper for a few minutes. Break the cheese into chunks and scatter over. You could easily use two balls of cheese if you like. Drizzle over some extra olive oil and pepper.
Cook for 10 minutes at 200 C until the cheese has melted.
Really easy, with the ready puff pastry and the roasting makes the tomatoes and asparagus sweet and tender.
What's your favourite veggie tart? If you are looking for more inspiration why not try my Caprese Tart ?
Roasted Asparagus Tart
- 235 g ready made butter puff pastry
- 8 medium vine tomatoes
- 10 trimmed asparagus spears
- olive oil
- 1 ball mozzarella
- 100 g basil pesto
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and place tomatoes cut in half with the cut side up.
- Drizzle over olive oil and season well with sea salt and black pepper before roasting at 150 C for about an hour.
- Line a loose bottomed tin (20x30cm) with the pastry and prick well with a fork.
- Bake the pastry at 200 C for about 10 minutes then use the back of a spoon to flatten the base.
- Prepare the asparagus in the same way as the tomatoes and cook at the same time as the pastry.
- Spread the pesto over the base of the pastry, add the asparagus, the tomatoes and top with pieces of mozzarella.
- Drizzle with a little extra oil and pepper and return to the oven for about 10 minutes until the mozzarella has melted.