Moules au Chorizo. Everyone knows that seafood goes well with Chorizo but until we went to St Jean de Luz, I had never had mussels with Chorizo.It was amazing. Spicy chunks of Chorizo sausage in a creamy sauce poured over delicate mussels is definitely a match made in heaven. Of course, you have to have huge chunks of French bread to mop up the juices and sauce; well it would be rude not to!
We are lucky that we can buy fresh mussels at the local supermarket most of the year. To save my new kitchen plumbing and septic tank we buy ready washed and debearded mussels which require much less checking. If you don't want any faff it is possible here to buy frozen, cooked and prepared mussels. If you are in any doubt about cooking them click here for my easy way to cook and prepare mussels.
I always keep a Chorizo in the fridge as it is so versatile. This recipe uses half of one that I chopped into rough dice.
Fry the onion and Chorizo together until the onion has softened. There is no need to add any oil. Add some crushed garlic and fry for a further minute.
Turn the heat down and add some cream. If you read this blog you know that my cream choices are limited! I opted for lower fat, thickened UHT cream which did not thin out when heated. If I was in the UK I would use some double cream. Heat gently until warmed through and the sauce becomes pink.
Ladle the cooked mussels into a large serving bowl and pour over the creamy sauce. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and prepare to get messy with some bread...
What could be better?
Moules au Chorizo
- 1 kg of cooked mussels
- 125 g diced Chorizo
- 400 ml double cream
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped or 2 shallots
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the mussels, instructions are here: https://chezlerevefrancais.com/moules-mariniere/.
- Put the onion and chorizo in a frying pan and heat until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic for a minute and then turn the heat down.
- Add the cream and black pepper and heat gently until the sauce is pink.
- Place the mussels in a serving dish and pour over the sauce.
- Enjoy with plenty of crusty bread and a salad.