This Chicken and Bacon Ring is really easy to make ahead and is delicious served hot or cold. It is a great way to use up some roast chicken and makes a filling family meal that is impressive enough for entertaining. And the best thing? It uses ready made croissant dough that keeps for ages in the fridge.
If you are starting this dish from scratch put a couple of chicken breasts in foil and cook at 180 degrees C for about 20 minutes. Shred the cooked chicken and place in a large bowl.
Fry some smoked lardons or bacon in their own fat and add some chopped shallot. Drain the fat off and add to the bowl with some chopped red and green peppers, grated cheese, lemon zest, tarragon, mayonnaise, seasoning and nutmeg.
Next open 2 tins of croissant dough, (each one usually makes 4 or 6 croissants). Divide into 6 triangles and then place on a large baking sheet in a ring with points outwards. Open the next packet and place the triangles slightly overlapping but pointing inwards. You will need to fold the dough over on itself for the inner ring. Make sure the butted up edges are pushed down.
Use an ice cream scoop to put the filling on the dough. It doesn't matter if it's on the baking sheet.
Alternately take a point of dough from the outside and tuck under the inside and vice versa. Once you have done this a few times it becomes easier! Glaze with beaten egg and sprinkle on some poppy or sesame seeds. Cook at 200 degrees C for about 30 minutes until golden.
This is a colourful dish which only needs some salad served with it.
For a change try prawns or chorizo. Other vegetables to use are spinach, cooked broccoli or sweetcorn.
You can use the same technique from Pampered Chef to make a dessert such as my Pecan Apple Croissant Wreath.
Chicken and Bacon Ring
- 2 x 240g packs of croissant dough
- beaten egg to glaze
- sesame seeds to garnish
For the filling
- 250 g cooked and shredded chicken
- 200 g pack of smoked lardons or bacon
- 2 shallots chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped
- ½ green pepper chopped
- 100 g grated cheese such as cheddar
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- zest of a lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- Fry the lardon with the onion and drain.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Divide a packet of croissant dough into 6 and arrange in a ring with points outwards.
- Arrange the other croissant pieces on the inside.
- Spoon the filling into the ring and plait the pastry, tucking the ends of the dough underneath.
- Cook at 200 degrees C for about 30 minutes until golden.