Twice baked potatoes with bacon and egg make a perfect break fast, brunch or meal with very little effort.
This all in one dish is can be prepared in advance so it’s perfect if you have guests and don’t want to be a slave in the kitchen trying to juggle a full English with all those frying pans!
Crispy on the outside, fluffy potato on the inside and the comfort of bacon, cheese and egg, just waiting for you to dive in. Doesn't this sound good?
Why you will love this dish
- easy to make vegetarian by leaving out the bacon
- perfect for making ahead by baking the potatoes the day before
- simple ingredients you already have at home
What are the ingredients?
This dish is so simple! You just need some large baking potatoes, bacon, cheese and eggs and a little vegetable oil for a nice crispy potato skin.
How to make twice baked potatoes with bacon
Start by pricking some potatoes all over and bake in a 200°C/400F oven for 30 to 40 minutes until soft.
I like a really crispy skin so I brush the outside with oil and place them directly onto the oven rack. If you are really short on time you can microwave the potatoes on full power for 7-10 minutes, turning halfway through.
When the potatoes are cool enough to handle slice them in half and scrape out most of the flesh. Keep the flesh as you can use it to make Cheese and Onion Potato Cakes another time.
Next fry some smoked bacon lardons until crisp in their own fat and drain them on kitchen paper. If you don't have lardons, cut some bacon into small pieces or use some chopped ham.
Put the potatoes on an oven proof dish and add the lardons then carefully crack in the eggs.
I like to add about a tablespoon of grated cheese before they go into the oven as this gives a lovely crust to the baked eggs.
Bake at 180C/350 for about 10 minutes until just set.
Grab a fork and dig in!
Small cubes or fried chorizo sausage are delicious in these baked potatoes and you could also use some chopped salami.
For a vegetarian option, fry some chopped leeks, peppers or mushrooms.
To save time you could cook the potatoes before and let them cool completely. Add the filling then cover and refrigerate until needed. Crack in the eggs just before baking.
- make sure that your potatoes are big enough to hold an egg with some of the filling scraped out or they will overflow when cooking
- if you cook the eggs in the potatoes from chilled you may prefer to heat the potatoes for 10 minutes first before adding the bacon and egg filling
More potato recipes
Twice Baked Potatoes with Bacon and Eggs
- 2 baking potatoes about 250g each
- 4 small eggs
- 100 g smoked bacon lardons
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- 2 tbsp oil
- Fork the potatoes all over and brush with the oil then bake at 200C/700F for 40 minutes to 1 hour until soft.
- When they are cooled slightly slice in half length ways and scrape out most of the insides.
- Fry the lardons over a medium heat in their own fat and then drain on kitchen paper.
- Divide the bacon between the potato shells and crack in an egg to each.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake at 180C/350F for about 10 minutes until the eggs are set.