Sometimes I plan a meal and feel sure that I will have enough left over for the following night. Unfortunately, each time I am disappointed and find myself raiding the fridge for possibilities. Of course, here in France, there always seems to be a Bank Holiday too and, of course, shorter opening hours so here is my low-carb solution. It's a sort of crustless quiche or Spanish omelette and of course, it's easy and virtuous.
Here's what you need for 4 people:
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
- a few spring onions or shallot or onion, chopped
- chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
Here's what I did:
- Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper.
- If using onion, heat a tsp of oil and soften the onion for a few minutes without browning.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pour into a greased flan dish.
- Cook at 180 or Gas 4-5 for about 20 minutes.
- Use any vegetables you have, for example, leftover peas or sweetcorn, mushrooms, cooked potatoes or green beans. If there is nothing in the fridge there must be some peas in the freezer!
- To make it more substantial fry some lardons or chopped bacon and drain the fat and add to the mix. You could also use prawns, ham, leftover chicken or tinned salmon.
- Add some naughty grated cheese if you like.
So here is an easy, virtuous dish you can make from leftovers in the fridge or freezer. I serve it with a salad but it could be served with any meat dish too. A pretty dish, it could be adapted to suit a vegetarian and would also work well sliced for a buffet or party food.