Seared Tuna Nicoise Platter.
How can you resist a beautiful piece of tuna cooked simply? This is a lower fat dish for summer which is easy to put together for casual dining. If your experience of tuna is of the canned variety then you have to try this.
The idea with this dish is to get everything ready in advance so that the salad is at room temperature while the fish is cooking. Get the eggs boiled and peeled and the new potatoes simmered until tender. Griddle some asparagus, the instructions are here
This recipe used about a 1 kg of tuna steak which gives a generous portion of half a steak per person. Rinse the fish under cold water and pat dry with kitchen towel.
The skin is tough so remove it and divide each steak into quarters. It has a natural break with the centre bone. Run your fingers over the fish to detect any other bones. They are large and you can pull then out easily. I only found about 4 in a steak. Season the fish on both sides.
Get a large platter ready and make sure the eggs, potatoes and asparagus are ready along with some lettuce, tomato, black olives, cucumber and anchovies. Typically french beans are used. It's usually served all mixed in together but I just piled it on the platter. Slice up a lime for garnish and juice another. Chop some coriander.
Heat some oil in a large frying pan and add the tuna. Cook for about 2 minutes and then turn it over. Add some butter, lime juice and coriander and cook for another minute. It should still be pinky red in the centre. Transfer immediately to a serving platter and pile on the salad. Tip the juices from the pan over the tuna and garnish with some coriander leaves.
Dress the salad with vinaigrette and let everyone pile in....
They won't even guess how healthy this is!
Tuna Niçoise Platter
Low-fat tuna Niçoise platter flavoured with lime and coriander and served with griddled asparagus, new potatoes, hard-boiled eggs and salad.
- 2 tuna steaks about 2cm thick (1kg in weight)
- 8 asparagus spears
- 4 eggs
- 2 limes, one juiced and 1 quartered
- 8 medium new potatoes
- 16 black olives (half a jar)
- 50g pack of fresh anchovies
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 slices cucumber
- 8 slices batavia lettuce
- handful of radishes
- handful of chopped coriander
- coriander leaves for garnish
- oil for frying
- a tsp of butter
- Simmer the eggs for 11 minutes and plunge in cold water, shell and slice in half.
- At the same time boil the potatoes until tender and cut into pieces.
- Heat a little oil in a griddle pan and cook the asparagus.
- Quarter, bone and skin the tuna, pat dry with paper towel and season.
- Slice the tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber and prepare the limes and coriander.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and add the tuna. Leave for 2 minutes maximum.
- Turn the tuna and add the butter, chopped coriander and lime juice for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and place on a platter with the warm salad ingredients.
- Pour the pan juices over the tuna and garnish with the coriander leaves.
Chez Le Rêve Français http://chezlerevefrancais.com/