If you love crab then you are going to love these crab cakes which are flavoured with spring onion, ginger, chilli and coriander.
Over the years I have made different variations of crab cakes with a potato or white sauce base but these are easier to make and much lighter and fresher in taste. This recipe for crab cakes is perfect for a starter or lunchtime treat.
My cheat is to serve these with chilli sauce or tartare. I make my own chilli sauce but the last batch would blow your hat off as my home-grown chillies were so strong so I had to buy some. It's easy to take some good mayonnaise and add some chopped cornichons and some lemon and dill to make an instant tartare.
I used white crab meat taken from claw. You could buy prepared crab but it is costly and the claws are the easiest to shell. Tinned crab could be used too but be sure to drain it well, (even squeeze out the juice) or the cakes will fall apart.
Chop the chilli, removing the seeds first if you like, grate the ginger and chop the spring onions and coriander.
Add a beaten egg and about 2 tbsp of fresh breadcrumbs. Use floured hands to divide the mixture into 8 patties. If they are too wet to handle add some more breadcrumbs or a little flour. Refrigerate for about 30 mins to let them firm up. They are quite delicate.
Dip the patties in beaten egg and carefully cover in breadcrumbs. If you can bear to wait put them in the fridge for another 30 minutes. Fry in butter and oil for a couple of minutes then turn. Don't fiddle or be tempted to keep turning.
I have to say that these are delicious. Serve them with a wedge of lime for squeezing over. I made them for my husband's rather big birthday this week and they always go down well.
If you are not a crab fan then chopped cooked prawns work well. Of course, you could use any fish you like.
What's is your favourite fish cake?
Delicious crab cakes flavoured with chilli, coriander, spring onions and ginger.
- 170g white crab meat (eg from 500g claws)
- 1 red chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1cm knob of ginger, grated
- 3 slices brown bread, whizzed into crumbs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 lime, quartered
- Combine the crab with 1 beaten egg, ginger, chilli, spring onion and 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs.
- Shape into 8 patties with floured hands. Use more breadcrumbs or extra flour if the mixture is too wet.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then dip in beaten egg and the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Refrigerate for another 30 minutes before frying over a medium heat for 2 minutes each side until golden.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce, tartare or plain mayonnaise.
- Substitute the crab with cooked prawns or other fish such as hake or salmon.
Chez Le Rêve Français http://chezlerevefrancais.com/