Caramel Chocolate Tart.
I normally only eat desserts for special occasions and this caramel chocolate tart was planned for Christmas time but didn't quite make it. Now we are nearly at Valentine's Day and this tart would be perfect for a romantic meal but it would be equally good for any party as it will serve up to 10 portions, depending on your greedy level. I found the basic recipe for this in a magazine, way before salted caramel became trendy. I've changed the recipe over the years and find it is just as easy to make the caramel but you could use a tin of ready made instead.
First make the pastry by putting flour, cocoa, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and combine. Add a beaten egg and enough water for it to come together in a ball. Put the dough between two sheets of clingfilm and line a greased 34x10cm tin. It is really horrible to work with but just patch it if you need to. Prick the base and put it in the fridge for 20 minutes. Bake it blind at 200 C for 10 minutes then remove the beans and paper and bake for another 5 minutes or so until cooked.
In the meantime make the caramel by heating sugar, cream and butter in a saucepan. Stir until the sugar dissolves and then simmer for 8 minutes.
Break the chocolate into small pieces and put in a glass bowl with the butter. Melt in the microwave in 10 second bursts. In another bowl whisk the eggs and sugar then quickly stir in the chocolate.
Pour the caramel onto the pastry base and sprinkle with seal salt flakes.
Pour over the chocolate mixture and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Reduce the temperature to 190 and cook the tart for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and then refrigerate before serving.
The caramel will still ooze out.....
This caramel chocolate tart is extremely rich so serve small portions!
Serve with vanilla ice cream or cream or just on its own.
Caramel Chocolate Tart
- 155g plain flour
- 21/2 tbsp cocoa
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 100g butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 50g butter
- 75ml cream
- 100g brown sugar
- sprinkle of sea salt flakes
- 100g 70% plain chocolate
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg and I egg yolk
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts
- Use a food processor to combine the pastry ingredients then add the egg and sufficient cold water to make the dough come together.
- Roll out the dough between 2 pieces of cling film and line a greased, loose bottom tin (34x10cm).
- Prick with a fork and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Bake blind at 200 C for about 10 minutes then remove the beans and paper for another 5 minutes until the base is set.
- Make caramel by putting ingredients (less salt) in a saucepan and stir over heat until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Break the chocolate and place in a glass bowl with the butter. Microwave for 10 second bursts until melted.
- In another bowl mix the eggs with the sugar and quickly mix the chocolate in.
- Pour on the caramel, sprinkle with salt then pour over the chocolate and sprinkle over the nuts.
- Bake at 190 C for 10 minutes then cool and refrigerate before serving.
Chez Le Rêve Français http://chezlerevefrancais.com/